Wednesday, October 21, 2009

you say tomato

the best halloween costume i have ever had is, by far, the custom-made tomato costume i wore when i was nine years old, and again when i was ten and living in another city in another country. i tried wearing it after that, because i am a firm believer of extending the useful life of things, but, sadly, i could not fit into it anymore.
my thin limbs were made red by leggings and a turtleneck, and my midsection was completely covered by a red bubble, giving me warmth, while providing me with much appreciated room to expand my stomach, privacy to scratch my bellybutton, if necessary, and storage space. the hat was the finishing touch, soft and lampshade-like with a green stem sticking out at the top, also doubling as an emergency treat bag.
now that i think about it, this would have been the perfect costume for me when i was pregnant, two years ago, had we celebrated halloween. it's super comfortable, the red accentuates maternal glow, and you can secretly stash all of the candy you can get your hands on, while giving a healthy impression to others, especially kids. the only drawback: running into naughty nurses, desirable devils, foxy french maids and feeling, well, like a big about-to-burst blob.

No comments:

Post a Comment